Thursday, November 19, 2009

Indological blogs

There seem to be two sorts of scholars' blogs relating to India:
–blogs about texts, textual problems, problems with softwares for textual criticisms and the like
–blogs about specific problems (focusing on a certain aspect of Indian culture).
Besides, there are blogs I cannot read (such as Kei Kataoka's japanese one) and, hence, evaluate. Just some posts, helas, are dedicated to India's philosophical thought as represented in its texts. There is, I mean, no Manyul Im of Indian philosophy. Why? I, for one, would be an assiduous reader of such a blog! And I guess that it would also enhance the feeling of scholars of Indian philosophy to belong to a group and to share –more or less– a/some mission(s) (understanding Indian philosophical ideas/making Indian philosophy part of the philosophical scene/…).

4 comments:

Amod said...

Well, there is this blog! You do spend a lot of time on textual issues, but you explore the philosophy as well - you're probably the closest thing out there to a Manyul Im of Indian thought. It's your strength, go with it!

Then again: Manyul's effectively ended his blog now, replacing it with the group blog Warp, Weft and Way (with a surprisingly - for the Web - distinguished list of contributors). I wonder if there's interest out there in an Indian philosophy group blog? I'd be interested in participating in such a thing if you wanted to start one, as long as I could still cross-post stuff at my own blog.

Anonymous said...

I encourage you to do it. It mostly takes some good targeted "publicity" among those who care. I'll gladly post a link to the site, if and when you start it. Keep on blogging!

elisa freschi said...

Thanks a lot for your comments. I do try to write what I would like to read and I appreciate a lot both your blogs for the reasons mentioned (I may not agree with all what you write, but I like the approach). As for Manyul Im's new group, it confirms the idea that his blog has been an intelligent start into a collective work on Chinese philosophy. I really like his question board, for intance.
Last, I am glad to participate in whatever joint project and do not think that multiplicating posts would do any harm.

VS said...

Not really something I can comment upon, but then there are people who live the way and maybe write about it and then there are people who read about something and write about it.

Licenza Creative Commons
Quest' opera è distribuita con licenza Creative Commons Attribuzione - Non commerciale - Non opere derivate 2.5 Italia.